Open Source advantages
Based on the legal facts, we list the advantages that result from this, as there are reservations, especially when it comes to use.
The 3 core principles of Open Source DMS
- Availability of the source code and the right to modify it.
- The right to distribute the open source software and all changes and improvements to the source code.
- No exclusive rights to the software.
Open Source against prejudices
If one talks with users or decision makers about Open Source Software called OSS for short, prejudices like
- Open Source Software is insecure
- Open Source Software projects are chaotic
- Open source software has more bugs than proprietary software (mostly commercial software whose source code is not disclosed)
Since these prejudices are unfounded, we have linked some sources for you here where you can find out about the facts:
- The Federal Office for Information Security has FAQ page about OSS.
- Studies show that OSS has no more bugs than commercial software. Here we refer to the Article in Computerwoche from May 2013 there. In April 2014, the study was renewed, certifying that Open Source software is of even better quality. For this there is a Articles under Heise.de.
- On the BITKOM website you will find a
Guide to Open Source Software - Legal basis and information
If you still have concerns or questions, we would be pleased if you contact us.